MHG10291 - Site of Broch, Cnoc Chaisteal, Helmsdale
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- MIDDEN (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
Knockcastle - a circular feature is named and marked on Kirk's 1771 plan of "the King's Highway to Caithness" NLS MSS Dep 313/3582
The site is not named, but possibly is the circular feature that is marked lying immed outside the eastern area of the new planned town on 1820 estate plan of East Helmsdale NLS MSS Acc 10225/345 - HAW 7/2004
ND01NW 24 0310 1525.
Stone Cup, Lamp, Querns etc found (NAT) OS 25" map, (1971)
A villa named Cnoc Chaisteal is built on the site of a broch. In digging the foundations there were recovered a steatite cup, a stone lamp, a saddle quern, portions of one or more rotary querns and a stone whorl. All of these objects were preserved at the house. A quantity of shells of edible molluscs, exposed in a small piece of garden adjoining, probably indicated the site of a kitchen midden.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909. <1>
There is no trace of a broch at Cnoc Chaisteal, built about 1880, and the present whereabouts of the finds is unknown.
Visited by OS (N K B) 2 December 1976.
ND01 3 CNOC CHAISTEAL ('Helmsdale')
Site of possible broch in Kildonan, Sutherland, named after a house which was built on top of it at about 1880. When the foundations were excavated there were found a handled steatite cup, a stone lamp, a saddle quern of granite, fragments of rotary querns and a thick stone whorl. Part of a shell midden was seen in the garden . In 1976 no trace of the site could be found and the whereabouts of the finds is unknown .
Sources: 1. NMRS site no. ND 01 NW 24: 2. RCAHMS 1911a, 134, no. 386: 3. Swanson (ms) 1985, 777. <1>
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 134, No. 386.
- <2> Text/Publication/Monograph: Mackie, E.. 2007. The Roundhouses, Brochs and Wheelhouses of Atlantic Scotland c.700 BC - AD 500: Architecture and material culture Part 2 (I & II) The Northern and Southern Mainland and the Western Islands. BAR British Series. 444. Paperback. ND01 3 CNOC CHAISTEAL.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0310 1524 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
- LAMP (Undated)
- QUERN (Undated)
- MOLLUSCA REMAINS (Undated)
- ROTARY QUERN (Undated)
- CUP (Undated)
- SPINDLE WHORL (Undated)
- SADDLE QUERN (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7439 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.