MHG10292 - Cairn - Caen Burn (South)
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- BURIAL CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- STRUCTURE (Undated)
Cairn (NR) OS 6" map, (1964)
Some 30' S of the W end of the long cairn (ND01NW 3 ) is a small round mound, with a depression in the centre. The diameter is about 22'. It is overgrown with heather. Some 15' W of it are the remains of a small oval enclosure measuring internally 15' x 9', surrounded by a bank about 2'6" thick. The entrance to it is uncertain. RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
This earth and stone mound is 0.6m high; no evidence of a cist or kerb was noted, but it is probably a small cairn. The other structure is a rectangular foundation with rounded corners, measuring 4.4m x 3.3m formed by a course of stones (the denuded remains of a wall) about 1.0m wide and 0.1m high. Its date and purpose are uncertain. Visited by OS (W D J) 24 May 1960.
The cairn was Scheduled in 1973.
As described above. Visited by OS (J B) 24 June 1976.
The original scheduling for the cairn was revoked by Historic Environment Scotland in 2016, but was re-scheduled with the adjacent chambered long cairn (see MHG10132) and hut circle see MHG10161). <1>
The GIS spatial data was amended in 2017 according to the position of the cairn as seen on 2009 APs. <2>
- --- SHG2657 Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 111, No. 321.
- <1> SHG27648 Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2016. Changes to the schedule of Monuments 01/09/2016. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
- <2> SHG27382 Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0120 1774 (15m by 15m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3328 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7440 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.