MHG10299 - Ledmore Wood
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRNFIELD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
NH68NE 18 659 893.
Along the open area above the W end of Ledmore Wood at about the 500' elevation are a number of small mounds.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
Centred at NH 659 893 are about a dozen stone clearance heaps, possibly associated with a ruined steading 150.0m to the E.
Visited by OS (A A) 23 October 1969.
Visited by OS (J B) 12 September 1980.
This area of field clearance cairns is as previously described.
S Carter and J Wordsworth (Headland Archaeology) 5 February 1997; NMRS MS 899/25, no.22
NH 66 90 (centre) A short-notice forestry survey was undertaken by Headland Archaeology Ltd over roughly 7.5sq km of land to the W of Spinningdale on the northern shore of the Dornoch Firth. A total of 28 features or groups of features of archaeological interest were recorded, 19 of which had previously been noted. The majority are post-medieval settlement sites (buildings, farmsteads and settlement sites) recorded first by the OS in 1874. The survey area and its immediate environs contain a notable concentration of chambered cairns, and a further example was discovered. This new site is heavily robbed but appears to be of a similar size and chamber type to the other examples in the area.
NH 659 893 Clearance cairns. (NMRS NH 68 NE 18)
Sponsor: Historic Scotland
S Carter 1997
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Carter, S. 1997. 'Ledmore and Migdale (Creich parish), pre-afforestation survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1997, p.45. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 45. 45.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth J/Carter S. 1997. Forestry Survey: Ledmore & Migdale, Spinningdale, Sutherland. Headland Archaeology Ltd. 05/02/1997. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 32, No. 84.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6597 8934 (134m by 87m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13817 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.