MHG10300 - Chambered Cairn, Ledmore Wood
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NH68NE 2 6537 8944.
(NH 6537 8944) Chambered Cairn (NR)
OS 6" map, Sutherland, 2nd ed., (1907)
A chambered round cairn, which may have been horned, standing on a level site at top of a steep moorland ridge, measuring 55ft in diameter and about 6ft in height. It is of bare stone except where peat and heather have encroached round edge. In centre, a number of large slabs, apparently earthfast, protrude. They now form no recognisable plan but more of structure probably remains under disturbed cairn material. The most prominent stone, standing 3ft 6ins above the cairn surface is on east side of group.
A possible horn projects from NW side of cairn. It is about 10ft long, 17ft across the base and is outlined by stones. There were formerly (RCAHMS 1911) indications of a similar projection on the SE, but these are now very indefinite; none can be seen on SW and NE side has been disturbed by a rectangular construction. The cairn does not give the impression of having had horns and forecourt similar to other horned cairns in county, but, on other hand, there is no indication that the projection on NW is part of a secondary construction.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; A S Henshall 1963.
A chambered cairn as described.
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D L) 4 June 1963.
No change to previous reports.
Revised at 1:10,000. Visited by OS (J B) 12 September 1980.
This cairn is as previously described. There is no evidence of recent disturbance.
S Carter and J Wordsworth (Headland Archaeology) 5 February 1997; NMRS MS 899/25, no.18
NH 66 90 (centre) A short-notice forestry survey was undertaken by Headland Archaeology Ltd over roughly 7.5sq km of land to the W of Spinningdale on the northern shore of the Dornoch Firth. A total of 28 features or groups of features of archaeological interest were recorded, 19 of which had previously been noted. The majority are post-medieval settlement sites (buildings, farmsteads and settlement sites) recorded first by the OS in 1874. The survey area and its immediate environs contain a notable concentration of chambered cairns, and a further example was discovered. This new site is heavily robbed but appears to be of a similar size and chamber type to the other examples in the area.
NH 6537 8944 Chambered cairn. (NMRS NH 68 NE 2)
Sponsor: Historic Scotland
S Carter 1997
NW SUT Local Plan, May 1987: P23/2.36.
J Aitken : 11/06/01.
Anna Sara Thoma., Paleoenvironmental change, and human influence, at a site, near Ledmore. (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3507.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 31-2, No. 84 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 323, SUT 41; plan (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
Wordsworth J/Carter S, 1997, Forestry Survey: Ledmore & Migdale, Spinningdale, Sutherland (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG21339.
Carter, S, 1997, 'Ledmore and Migdale (Creich parish), pre-afforestation survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1997, p.45, 45 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1035.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Carter, S. 1997. 'Ledmore and Migdale (Creich parish), pre-afforestation survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1997, p.45. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 45. 45.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth J/Carter S. 1997. Forestry Survey: Ledmore & Migdale, Spinningdale, Sutherland. Headland Archaeology Ltd. 05/02/1997. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 31-2, No. 84.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Anna Sara Thoma.. Paleoenvironmental change, and human influence, at a site, near Ledmore..
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 323, SUT 41; plan.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6537 8944 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1805 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1805 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13819 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.