MHG10304 - Mound, Ledmore Wood
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Undated)
- None recorded
NH68NE 39 6533 8945.
NH 6533 8945. A low mound in a prominent position. A central excavation 1.3m. diameter and 1m deep has exposed some stone and has left a peripheral stony bank, 0.9m. to 1.2m. broad, now turf-covered. Thick heather prevents classification but it is not a clearance heap, there is insufficient evidence to call it a cairn and there is a possibility that it may be natural.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; Visited by OS (A A) 23 October 1969.
The mound measures 5.5m E-W by 4.5m and 0.5m high. From hole dug in the centre its composition seems to be peat and earth together with a small amount of stones. Due to the limited remains it is impossible to judge whether it is a cairn or a natural mound, although the latter option seems more likely.
Visited by OS (J B) 22 September 1980.
A low knoll, with a central hollow, as previously described. was visited during a forestry survey by Headland Archaeology (NMRS MS 899/25) who consider it unlikely to be a man-made feature.
S Carter and J Wordsworth (Headland Archaeology) 5 February 1997; NMRS MS 899/25, no.17
NH 66 90 (centre) A short-notice forestry survey was undertaken by Headland Archaeology Ltd over roughly 7.5sq km of land to the W of Spinningdale on the northern shore of the Dornoch Firth. A total of 28 features or groups of features of archaeological interest were recorded, 19 of which had previously been noted. The majority are post-medieval settlement sites (buildings, farmsteads and settlement sites) recorded first by the OS in 1874. The survey area and its immediate environs contain a notable concentration of chambered cairns, and a further example was discovered. This new site is heavily robbed but appears to be of a similar size and chamber type to the other examples in the area.
NH 6533 8945 ?Cairn. (NMRS NH 68 NE 39)
Sponsor: Historic Scotland
S Carter 1997
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 31-2, No. 84 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Wordsworth J/Carter S, 1997, Forestry Survey: Ledmore & Migdale, Spinningdale, Sutherland (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG21339.
Carter, S, 1997, 'Ledmore and Migdale (Creich parish), pre-afforestation survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1997, p.45, 45 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1035.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Carter, S. 1997. 'Ledmore and Migdale (Creich parish), pre-afforestation survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1997, p.45. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland. 45. 45.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Wordsworth J/Carter S. 1997. Forestry Survey: Ledmore & Migdale, Spinningdale, Sutherland. Headland Archaeology Ltd. 05/02/1997. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 31-2, No. 84.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 6533 8945 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/13840 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.