MHG1050 - Chapel, Brims Ness
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Chapel (NR) (rems of) Grave Yard (NAT)
OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)
The remains of what is said to have been a Roman Catholic chapel (Name Book 1872), whose former existence is mentioned in 1726 (W Macfarlane 1906-8) and 1769 (T Pennant 1774). The walls, which were fast falling to decay, have lately been repaired by the proprietor (and the) graveyard, lying along S base of the above chapel has lately been surrounded by a stone wall. It contains a few very old tombstones, many of which are rough and undressed having no inscriptions on them (Name Book 1872).
T Pennant 1774; W Macfarlane 1906-8; Name Book 1872.
The remains of this chapel survive to a height of 1.6m. The harled walls are now surmounted by slabs, the entrance being in the S wall. There are no windows. The N wall has been incorporated into the enclosing wall of the graveyard, which contains stones dating back to 1836. The last burial was in 1948.
Visited by OS (N K B) 2 October 1964.
No change. Visited by OS (N K B) 13 August 1981.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Myatt, L J. 1976. 'The early ecclesiastical remains of Thurso Parish', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 1 April 1976, p.105-8. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 105-8. 105-6.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: A S Cowper & I Ross. 1992. Caithness Monumental Inscriptions, pre 1855. 3.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mitchell, Sir A and Clark, J T (eds.). 1906-8. Geographical collections relating to Scotland. Vol. 1, 173.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Pennant, T. 1774. A tour in Scotland; MDCCLXIX. 3rd ed.. 350.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 11, 3.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Watson, G.. 1991. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0401 7140 (8m by 6m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8016 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.