MHG1052 - Tower House, Brims Castle
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- TOWER HOUSE (Built, 16th Century to 17th Century - 1575 AD to 1625 AD (between))
- GABLED HOUSE (18th Century - 1800 AD to 1800 AD (circa))
Castle (NR) (rems of) OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)
The remains of Brims Castle, a late 16th-century rubble-built tower house on L-plan consisting of a crow-step gabled main block, three storeys and an attic in height, lying E-W with a projecting stair wing in NE. An open wall-head turret commands entrance at first floor level in E of the stair wing. A courtyard to N has been filled with later subsidiary buildings on E, but on W there remains part of the high curtain wall, containing a round-arched and mouled gateway, surmounted by an empty heraldic panel space.
Still partly occupied as part of the adjoining farm, Brims Castle belonged to the Sinclair family.
D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92; RCAHMS 1911; N Tranter 1962-70.
Brims Castle is now partly unroofed.
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 28 October 1964.
The building was listed at Category B in 1971.
Brims Castle is now a roofless shell in a dangerous state.
Revised at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 13 August 1981.
The building was Scheduled in 1992.
Keith Tilley posted a photograph of this site on the Highland HER Facebook page in June 2011. <1>
The building was de-listed by Historic Scotland in August 2015 as part of a project looking at dual designations of castles in the Highlands. It remains a scheduled monument. <2>
MacGibbon, D and Ross, T, 1887-92, The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries, Vol. 3, 628-9; plan, illust (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2442.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 114-15, No. 424 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
Tranter, N, 1962-70, The fortified house in Scotland, Vol. 5, 86 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2893.
<1> Highland Council, 2011, Highland HER Facebook page, Keith Tilley, 07/06/2011 (Interactive Resource/Webpage). SHG25262.
<2> Jackson, L., 2015, Combined Statutory and Descriptive List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Highland Council, One Hundred and Ninty Sixth Amendment) 2015 (Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings). SHG27377.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: MacGibbon, D and Ross, T. 1887-92. The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries. Hardback. Vol. 3, 628-9; plan, illust.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 114-15, No. 424.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Tranter, N. 1962-70. The fortified house in Scotland. Vol. 5, 86.
- <1> Interactive Resource/Webpage: Highland Council. 2011. Highland HER Facebook page. Yes. Keith Tilley, 07/06/2011.
- <2> Text/Designation Notification/List of Buildings: Jackson, L.. 2015. Combined Statutory and Descriptive List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Highland Council, One Hundred and Ninty Sixth Amendment) 2015. Historic Scotland. 20/05/2015. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0433 7101 (70m by 98m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5510 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8018 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
- www.facebook.com/HighlandHER (Highland HER on Facebook)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.