MHG10538 - Cnoc an Ruidhean Chruaidh

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (2)

  • HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
  • FIELD SYSTEM (Undated)

Protected Status

Full Description

(Name at NC 765 074) Settlement and Field System (NR) (4 huts shown: B-E).
OS 1:10,000 map, (1970)

Two stone-built circles (B and C) and a hut circle (D)
with "mounds".
(B: RCAHMS 1911, No. 500) contains an inner stone-built structure.
(C: RCAHMS 1911, No. 499) contains an internal oval chamber.
(D: RCAHMS 1911, No. 496) is a hut circle "of the ordinary form".
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.

Centred NC 762 071. A settlement of six huts (A-F) and a well-preserved, contemporary field system.
'A' measures circa 10.5m in diameter between the centres of a wall best-preserved at the entrance in the SE, where it is 0.4m high (OS {WDJ})
'B' is 11m internal diameter within a wall of stones on edge, 1.1m thick, widening to 1.9m at the SE entrance, 1.0m wide. The wall appears to have been built up and utilised later, probably as a sheepfold. There is now no coherent pattern to the internal structure illustrated by RCAHMS. It effectively blocks the entrance, and is probably later.
'C' also appears to have been utilised as a sheepfold the wall surviving to a height of 0.8m. It is 9.9m internal diameter within a wall 2.2m thick, widening to 2.8m at the SE entrance, which is about 1.0m wide between inner portal sttones (one of which is displaced), but displaying a slight outward splay. The internal division as planned by RCAHMS is obscured by peat and heather, and is uncertain whether it is contemporary.
'D' is oval, 14.0m NNW - SSE by 12.5m between the centres of a tumbled turf-covered wall, 4.0m wide. The entrance is probably in the SSE; there is a mutilation of the bank 10.0m long on the N side.
'E' is greatly denuded, but both faces are visible intermittently, indicating an internal diameter of of 9.5m, within a wall 1.9m thick widening to 2.6m at the SE entrance, now choked with rubble.
'F', smaller with less strong wall than the others is 9.0m in diameter between wall centres. The entrance was probably in the SE.
The field system comprises cultivation plots defined by stone clearance heaps, low field walls and lynchets, particularly well-preserved in the vicinity of huts 'B' and 'C'.
Surveyed at 1:10,000.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 19 April 1964 and (JB) 19 August 1975.


RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 171, Nos. 496, 499, 500; plans (Text/Report). SHG2657.

Sources/Archives (1)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NC 7619 0710 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NC70NE
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish ROGART

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (3)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.