MHG10545 - Township, Cladh Maireannach
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NC70NE 39 783 099
A farmstead comprising two unroofed buildings and two enclosures is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879, sheet xcvii). Two unroofed buildings and two enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1969).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 1 November 1995
Modern OS shows a series of features indicating old buiildings across the whole field - so not just a farmstead. Nothing depicted on 1st ed OS other than the cemetery and 2 buildings to GR given below. Features are visible from the field to the W and include clearance? Cairns. <1>
Clearance cairn identified during walkover survey across to the east of the township. <2>
HER map changed to reflect potential outline of whole settlement, based upon features on OS mapping and clearance cairns noted in <2>. <3>
- <1> Verbal Communication: White, H. Comment by Hilary White, HC Archaeologist.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Lindsay, N. 09/2009. Dalreavoch-Sciberscross, Strath Brora, Sutherland: A Report on an Archaeological Walk-Over Survey. Unaffiliated. Digital. Feature 77.
- <3> Verbal Communication: Carey, G. 2010-2011. Comment by Giles Carey, HER Officer.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7826 0981 (386m by 285m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5837 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.