MHG1056 - Chapel or Mausoleum, Brims
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- MORTUARY CHAPEL (Built, 18th Century - 1750 AD to 1800 AD (between))
- (Alternate Type) MAUSOLEUM (Built, 18th Century - 1750 AD to 1800 AD (between))
- None recorded
About 140 yards N of the tower of Brims (ND07SW 3) are the remains of a late 18th century mortuary chapel or mausoleum (probably the buildings published at ND 0428 7114 which is shown unroofed on OS 1st edition 6" 1872). It measures over all 28 by 24ft with walls 3ft thick. The entrance is from the E end by a square-headed doorway with a bead and hollow moulding on jambs and lintel. The interior is vaulted, and is lit by a small square aperture in the W wall. Part of the farmhouse adjoining Brims Castle is also 18th century. (HBD list 1962)
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Myatt, L J. 1976. 'The early ecclesiastical remains of Thurso Parish', Caithness Fld Club Bulletin Vol. 1 April 1976, p.105-8. Caithness Fld Club Bulletin. 105-8. 105.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 114, No. 422.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: George Watson. Caithness Chapel Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0428 7114 (9m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8022 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.