MHG10610 - MBA Palstave - Near Railway, Dalmore Rock
A Middle Bronze Age palstave, found near Dalmore Rock (Creag na Dalach) in 1867 'during railway works'.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
Bronze Axe found AD 1869 (NAT)
OS 1:10,000 map, (1971)
A Middle Bronze Age palstave, found near Dalmore Rock (Creag na Dalach: NC709030) in 1867 'during railway works' (Info from TS Catalogue of Dunrobin Museum by A S Henshall), was lent by Duke of Sutherland to Glasgow Exhibition of 1911. It is in museum of Dunrobin Caslte (Acc No: 1867.2).
(It is not certain that these reports refer to OS published site, but it seems likely, especially as original entry in ONB appears to have applied date of discovery only to NC70SW12, the entry for this site being added later and erroneously).
Name Book 1873; Palace of History 1911; J M Coles 1966.
(Midribbed variant of Roundhay type). Single find. Palstave, some patches of corrosion, otherwise black-green shiny patina; length 153mm, butt 26mm, stop-height 10mm, cutting edge 52mm, weight 520 gms. Dunrobin Castle museum (1867.2).
P K Schmidt and C B Burgess 1981.
The axehead was catalogued during an inventory of Dunrobin Castle Museum's collection in 2019 by ARCH. Listed under Acc. No. 1867.2. It is on display in case 26, shelf C. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1966. 'Scottish Middle Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 97 1963-4, p.82-156. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 82-156. 139.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Glaister, J (et al). 1911. Scottish exhibition of national history, art and industry, Glasgow (1911): Palace of History catalogue of exhibits. Vol. 2, 856.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Schmidt and Burgess, P K and C B. 1981. 'The axes of Scotland and Northern England', Prahistorische Bronzefunde Vol. 9. Prahistorische Bronzefunde. 149-50, no. 888.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 33, 29.
- <1> Collection/Finds Collection: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection At Dunrobin Castle Museum. 1867.2.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7126 0309 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- PALSTAVE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5965 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.