MHG10612 - Cists & Beads, Rovie Farm
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CIST (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- BURIAL (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
- None recorded
NC70SW 13 7169 0225.
Shale Beads found AD1840 (NAT) OS 6"map, Sutherland, 2nd ed.,(1907)
Shale beads were found at Rovie farm steading near the site of the old church.
Name Book 1873.
Some cists, containing skeletons and some shale beads, were found a few years ago immediately to one side of Rovie House, on the top of a bank which looks very much like an old sea beach.
L Tait 1870.
No further info. Visited by OS (R D L) 8 July 1963.
- --- SHG1227 Text/Publication/Article: Tait, L. 1870. 'Notes on the shell mounds, hut-circles, and kist-vaens of Sutherlands', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7 1866-8, p.525-32. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 525-32. 528.
- --- SHG3365 Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 33, 31.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7168 0224 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
- BEAD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC? to 551 BC?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5967 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.