MHG10614 - Possible Stone Circle, Achnagarron
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- STONE ALIGNMENT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- (Alternate Type) STONE CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
The westerly stone stands on a very prominent hill with views all around - the easterly scheduled stone (tipping) stands on a lower terrace. However there are large numbers of other prominent stones around the brow of the hill, that might be part of a circle and led to the early attribution. Photos- HAW 12/2004
NC70SW 18 7327 0497 and 7329 0498
Some 100 yards NE of westmost croft at Achnagarron, are two standing stones which look as if they might have been members of a stone circle. They stand about 95ft apart in a direction pointing 70 E of N. The most easterly stands about 5ft high, and is about 2ft 6ins wide at base, roughly quadrangular in section, and pointed at upper end. It leans slightly to one side. The second stone is some 4ft 8ins high, 2ft 3ins across base, and is also pointed.
The standing stones, as described above, are located at NC 7329 0498 and NC 7326 0496. No other stones of this alleged circle were found.
Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R B) 21 February 1966.
(NC 7329 0498 and NC 7326 0496) Standing Stones (NR)
OS 25"map, (1968)
The standing stones, as described, occur at different heights some 30m apart, and it is therefore highly unlikely that they represent the remains of a stone circle.
Visited by OS (N K B) 10 June 1981.
Two standing stones, situated about 30m apart, and a spread of small cairns are situated on a heather-covered rise to N of Achngarron. ENE stone (NC 7329 0498, ROG95 921) stands 1.6m high, is 0.8m square at base, with its faces presented to cardinal points of the compass. It leans to S and there are packing stones visible at base of stone. The WSW stone (NC 7327 0497, ROG95 922) is 1.3m in height, subrectangular in section, and measures 0.9m from N to S by 0.6m transversely. The small cairns extend for a distance of up to 140m from E to W by 60m transversely along the spine of the hill on which standing stones are set.
Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 6 July 1995
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 182, No. 519 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7326 0497 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1762 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1762 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5972 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.