MHG10617 - Pittentrail
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
- None recorded
NC70SW 2 7269 0209.
(NC 7267 0208) Stone Circle (NR) (Site of)
OS 6"map, Sutherland, 2nd ed. (1907)
Pittentrail: Type uncertain; Miss Henshall identifies this circle with the large chambered cairn with its entrance turned to NE as recorded by Tait. It had been built over by 1909 when visited by RCAHMS. According to ONB it "consisted of 6 stones, 3 of which are standing, the remainder lying. They are placed in a circle about 11ft in diameter and on a small mound situated in an arable field adjacent to Pittentrail Inn."
Name Book 1873; L Tait 1870; A S Henshall 1963.
No trace of cairn is now to be seen. Mr MacKay (Corry, Rogart) pointed out spot, coincident with published site, where rubble stones have been ploughed up on top of a slight knoll.
Visited by OS (NKB) 17 February 1966.
(NC 7269 0209) Chambered Cairn OS 1:10,000 map, (1971)
(NR) (site of)
No change to previous field report. Visited by OS (NKB) 29 April 1981.
Shown as 'Cairn' on a plan of 1788. D Aitken 1788.
Nothing now remains of this cairn, which was situated on a low rise in an improved pasture field.
Visited by RCAHMS (DCC) 6 July 1995
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 33, 44 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3365.
Aitken, D, 1788, Volume of 27 coloured plans of farms in Skelbo, surveyed by David Aitken, 1788, map no. xix (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG1877.
Tait, L, 1870, 'Notes on the shell mounds, hut-circles, and kistvaans of Sutherlands', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7 1866-8, p.525-32, 528 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1226.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 328, SUT 50 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Tait, L. 1870. 'Notes on the shell mounds, hut-circles, and kistvaans of Sutherlands', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7 1866-8, p.525-32. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 525-32. 528.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Aitken, D. 1788. Volume of 27 coloured plans of farms in Skelbo, surveyed by David Aitken, 1788. map no. xix.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 33, 44.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 328, SUT 50.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7269 0209 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5974 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.