MHG10766 - Symbol Stone, Kirtomy
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- INSCRIBED STONE? (Early Medieval - 561 AD to 1057 AD)
- None recorded
NC76SW 17 74 63.
A Class 1 symbol stone - 'a stone with a serpent on it' - previously unrecorded, is reported by Miss MacGregor, sister of the minister of Farr, who says 'The stone has, I think, been built into wall of a barn at Kirtomy (NC 74 63) from whence it could not be taken without trouble and expense. There is a man in Kirtomy named George MacKay who thinks he knows where stone is to be found. I have never seen it.' In spite of the last statement Miss MacGregor made a sketch of stone and sent it to Rev Dr Joass of Golspie.
J Anderson and J R Allen 1903; Info contained in letter from
Miss MacGregor to J R Allen, 17 December 1890.
The stone was not located during field investigation.
Visited by OS (J L D) 28 April 1960.
Previous field report confirmed.
Visited by OS (R L) 7 July 1971.
Class I symbol stone.
A Mack, 1997
Kirtomy, Sutherland, Pictish symbol stone
Place of discovery: NC 743635
Present location: lost.
Evidence for discovery: sometime before 1890, a stone bearing the carving of a serpent was built into the wall of a barn at Kirtomy. The face with the serpent is presumably within the wall, as several searches have failed to find it.
No details are known other than that it was carved with a serpent.
References: ECMS pt 3, 45; Fraser 2008, no 144.
Early Medieval Carved Stones Project, Compiled by A Ritchie 2016
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Allen and Anderson, J R and J. 1903. The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation. pt. 3, 45.
- --- Interactive Resource/Online Database: RCAHMS. Canmore, online database of the Royal Commission for the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS). 6412.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mack, A. 1997. Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones. 145.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Ritchie, J N G. 1985. Pictish symbol stones: a handlist 1985. 14.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7400 6300 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6412 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.