MHG10771 - Hut circle - Achcheargary
Hut circle at Achcheargary
Type and Period (1)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
(NC 7188 5500) Hut Circle (NR) (NC 7190 5497) Cairns (NR) (Five shown) OS 6"map, (1964)
A hut-circle, cut through by a fence and accompanied by field clearance heaps, lying on an east-facing slope, beside the river. The hut-circle consists of an earth and stone bank, 7m in diameter, with an entrance in the SE. The clearance heaps range from 3m to 6m in diameter and from 0.5m to 1.2m in height. That at NC 7191 5498 appears to be partly surrounded by a slight bank.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; Visited by OS (J L D) 5 May 1960.
The hut circle is turf-covered and mutilated, measuring 5.0m in diameter within a low, vague wall of uncertain width. The 'cairns' shown on the OS 6"map are turf-covered clearance heaps associated with the hut. Recent cultivation has occurred in the area and strips of linear clearance are presumably of this later date.
Revised at 1:10,000.
Visited by OS (J B) 18 December 1978.
On 4th November 2001, Marlyn Price and Meryl Marshall of the North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NOSAS), conducted a survey of the archaeological features of the Achcheargary 'Cairns', Strathnaver. Some of the stonework from the sites may have been robbed in order to construct a substantial wall enclosing a field on the lower valley floor nearby.
4.1 Enclosure. A low circular earth and stone wall enclosing a dished area with an internal diameter of 5m. Height of the wall is roughly 0.3m and width variable from 1m to 1.5m. There appears to be an entrance in the southeast. <1>
NGR adjusted based on 2009 aerial photographs. <2>
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 84, No. 244.
- <1> Text/Report: Marshall M, Price M. Field Survey of Achcheargary Cairns, Strathnaver. North of Scotland Archaeological Society (NOSAS). . . p.2 Site 4.1.
- <2> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7188 5500 (8m by 8m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6220 (View HES Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.