MHG10777 - Possible Souterrain - Achnabourin
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SOUTERRAIN? (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
NC75NW 24 709 585.
There is an earth-house at farmhouse of Auchinbourin (Achnabourin: NC 7104 5825).
J Horsburgh 1870.
On a hillock immediately E of road and between wood and farm-house at Achnabourin is a depression running N and S, about 54ft in length and nearly 9ft wide, showing signs of stone building at either side. This may be the remains of an earth-house.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
This souterrain was not located during field investigation.
Visited by OS (J L D) 5 May 1960.
Not located and no local info. Visited by OS (JB) 18 12 1978.
No trace of souterrain during recent works (new shed) at the farm although excavations to depth of 9' - HAW 9/2004
The grid reference for this feature (270900 958500) is completely incorrect being on the west side of the road. It is noted that it has not been located since at least 1960. However, on vertical APs there is a feature which clearly matches the RCHAMS description from 1911 c. 115m to the north-northeast of the current grid reference within a sub-rectangular enclosure. The grid reference has been changed accordingly. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Horsburgh, J. 1870. 'Notes of cromlechs, duns, hut-circles, chambered cairns, and other remains, in the County of Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7, 1866-8, pp 271-9. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 275.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 90, No. 266.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph/Vertical: Get Mapping. 2009. Getmapping aerial photography 2009. XY
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7093 5861 (9m by 22m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6226 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.