MHG10791 - Rhinovie
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SETTLEMENT (Undated)
- None recorded
NC75NW 38 Centred on 715 576
(NC 715 576) Rhinovie. The remains of a depopulated settlement mentioned in 1726 which, since it was under sheep in 1873, is presumably one of those abandoned during the clearances of Strathnaver between 1814 and 1819.
Name Book 1873; W Macfarlane 1906-8; J Prebble 1963.
The township comprises the footings of at least 8 buildings with associated enclosures and walls. One of the foundations incorporates a corn-drying kiln There is evidence of run-rig in the vicinity.
Visited by OS (N K B) 15 August 1978.
A township, comprising three unroofed buildings and one enclosure, is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet xviii). The township is shown as six unroofed buildings and several enclosures, on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1964).
Information from RCAHMS (FO) 17 August 1995.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mitchell, Sir A and Clark, J T (eds.). 1906-8. Geographical collections relating to Scotland. Vol. 1, 188.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Prebble, J. 1963. The Highland clearances. 106-24.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 20, 137.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7140 5771 (360m by 318m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6241 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.