MHG10816 - Clynelish and Brora Distilleries
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- DISTILLERY (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
Gordonbush Windfarm Environmental Statement - Archaeology
information supplied by J Hooper, March 2004
See Report 1244, Appendix 4.2 - Site 2
J Aitken : 14/05/04
NC80NE 40 897 054
The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland (A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900, p.228-230) - Sinclair B Calder, 1974
J Aitken : 19/2/2004
(Location cited as NC 897 054). Clynelish Distillery, founded 1819 by the Sutherland Estate, and enlarged in 1896 by Ainslie and Co. The chimney, fine malt kiln and malting floors probably date from the rebuilding, but much of the original structure apparently survives within the complex.
J R Hume 1977.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Clynelish and Brora Distilleries. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Butt, J. 1967. The industrial archaeology of Scotland. 313.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Close-Brooks, J. 1986. Exploring Scotland's Heritage: The Highlands. 42-3, No. 11.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Spiller, B. 1982. Clynelish and Brora Distilleries, Brora, Sutherland.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Young, A.. 2018. Brora Old Distillery, Clynelish, Brora, Sutherland: Level 1 Photographic Survey. Highland Archaeology Services. Digital.
- --- Text/Manuscript: Calder, Sinclair B.. 1974. The Industrial Archaeology of Sutherland: A Scottish Highland Economy 1700-1900. The University of Strathclyde.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8978 0550 (60m by 60m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB578 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.