MHG10836 - Hut circle, Kilbraur
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC to 560 AD)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN (Undated)
Hut circle (NR) OS 6"map, (1969)
About 100 yards SW of the site of the broch at Kilbrare (NC80NW 4) is a small circular enclosure of about 17ft internal diameter. The entrance is from the SE and is about 2ft wide. The bank or wall which is about 5ft thick is on its inner face lined with large contiguous boulders from 1ft to 1 1/2ft high and 1 1/2ft to 2ft across. One or two mounds lie near.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
A small clearly-defined hut circle, 5.1m in internal diameter, as described above.
The mounds in the area are field clearance heaps of a minor contemporary field system.
Visited by OS (W D J) 26 April 1964 and (J B) 27 October 1975.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 15, No. 37 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8217 0982 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1793 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1793 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6507 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.