MHG10866 - Nr Dunrobin Castle, tortoise (oval) brooches
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- GRAVE (Norse - 800 AD to 1300 AD)
- None recorded
The undershells of a pair of 10th century Norse, tortoise brooches, found in a grave near Dunrobin Castle (NC 850 008) before 1855, have been in the museum there since that year. (Acc. No X49).
J Anderson 1875; S Grieg 1940; A O Curle, M Olsen and H Shetelig 1954
Information from TS of Catalogue of Dunrobin Museum.
Photographs of these brooches, on display in Dunrobin Museum, were submitted to the HER by a participant in a Community Timeline course, run by ARCH. <1>
The two oval brooches were catalogued during an inventory of Dunrobin Castle Museum's collection in 2019 by ARCH. Listed under Acc. No. X49 and ARC 388a-b. They are on display in case 22, shelf C.<2>
- --- Collection/Finds Collection: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection At Dunrobin Castle Museum. X49, ARC 388a-b.
- <1> Image/Photograph(s): Private individuals. 2010. Photographs submitted by participants in ARCH Community Timeline course in Evanton and Golspie. Colour digital. Yes. Digital. Shirley Sutherland/ Penny Paterson.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8500 0080 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
- BROOCH (Norse - 800 AD to 1300 AD)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6538 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.