MHG10899 - Chambered Cairn - Rhives
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
(NC 8299 0060) Burial Chamber (NR) OS 6"map, (1969)
Orkney-Cromarty Group, Benbhraggie Wood (Rhives): The cairn was removed before 1868 (Anderson 1870). RCAHMS (1911) suggests a diameter of about 60ft, but as ground drops on each side it seems unlikely to have been much more than 46ft across chamber. There are slight indications of an edge 24ft 6ins behind the back of chamber. Formerly there were 13 upright stones forming the walls and divisional stones of a bipartite chamber and passage (or tripartite chamber) (Anderson 1870). 8 stones of chamber remain, apparently exposed almost to ground level. The entrance has been from SE. Of the passage (or outer compartment) only a side slab on NE remains, 3ft 6ins high. A pair of divisional slabs set 2ft 3ins apart, 3ft and 2ft 10ins high, lead into a compartment 6ft 3ins long by about 7ft wide. The SW side slab remains, 2ft 3ins high. Of the divisional stones between this and the inner compartment only that on the SW remains, 2ft high. This compartment is 6ft 6ins long by 9ft 6ins wide, and consists of taller stones - two side slabs 3ft 6ins high and an end stone, the tallest of the whole group, 4ft 10ins high.
J Anderson 1870; RCAHMS 1911; A S Henshall 1963. <1>-<3>
The site was Scheduled in 1935.
The remains of the cairn are as described above.
No trace of the edge of the cairn could be found.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 2 February 1976
No change. Visited by OS (N K B) 2 February 1976
Photographs of the cairn were submitted to the HER by a participant in a Community Timelines course, run by ARCH in 2010. <4>
The site was re-scheduled by Historic Environment Scotland in 2016 to better refelct its extent and area of importance. <5> <6>
The GIS spatial data was amended in 2017 according to its Scheduled area. <7>
<1> Anderson, J, 1866-68, 'On the horned cairns of Caithness, their structural arrangement, contents of chambers, &c.', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7 1866-8, p.480-512, 494-5 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1326.
<2> RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 98-9, No. 28 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
<3> Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 310, SUT 12 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
<4> Private individuals, 2010, Photographs submitted by participants in ARCH Community Timeline course in Evanton and Golspie, Shirley Sutherland (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG24858.
<5> MacIver, M., 2016, Changes to the schedule of Monuments 27/09/2016 (Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument). SHG27658.
<6> Historic Environment Scotland, 2016, Amended entry in the Schedule of Monuments: SM1814: Rhives, chambered cairn 320m NNE of (Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument). SHG27663.
<6> Historic Environment Scotland, 2017, HES Scheduled Monument dataset 04/10/2017 (Dataset/Geospatial Data). SHG27610.
- <1> Text/Publication/Article: Anderson, J. 1866-68. 'On the horned cairns of Caithness, their structural arrangement, contents of chambers, &c.', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7 1866-8, p.480-512. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 480-512. 494-5.
- <2> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 98-9, No. 28.
- <3> Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 310, SUT 12.
- <4> Image/Photograph(s): Private individuals. 2010. Photographs submitted by participants in ARCH Community Timeline course in Evanton and Golspie. Colour digital. Yes. Digital. Shirley Sutherland.
- <5> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: MacIver, M.. 2016. Changes to the schedule of Monuments 27/09/2016. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
- <6> Dataset/Geospatial Data: Historic Environment Scotland. 2017. HES Scheduled Monument dataset 04/10/2017. Historic Environment Scotland. XY
- <6> Text/Designation Notification/Scheduled Monument: Historic Environment Scotland. 2016. Amended entry in the Schedule of Monuments: SM1814: Rhives, chambered cairn 320m NNE of. Historic Environment Scotland. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8299 0062 (32m by 32m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1814 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6589 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.