MHG10904 - Cist w Symbol Stone, Golspie High School
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CIST (Early Bronze Age to Pictish - 2400 BC to 900 AD?)
- None recorded
NC80SW 9 8338 0018.
(NC 8338 0018) Short Cist with Symbol Stone found AD 1942 (NAT) OS 6" map, (1969)
A small cist, capped by Class I symbol stone, was found by John P Morrison during ploughing in April 1942. The cist, roughly paved and lightly built, lay E-W, measured 3ft by 13ins by 14ins deep and was set in sand. The symbol slab has been neatly trimmed with square-cut top-corners. It is of micaceous sandstone and measures 3ft 9.5ins to 4ft 3.5ins in length by about 24ins wide by 2 3/8ins thick. The incised symbols, on one face only, consisist of crescent and V-rod, 'elephant' mirror and comb. The fact that it lay across and was twice the size of cist suggested that it was not the original capstone. It is now mounted and on display in Dunrobin Museum. J M Davidson 1943.
The find-spot of the cist is now occupied by Golspie High School. The symbol stone is still in Dunrobin Museum.
Site Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R B) 19 February 1966.
Acc. No: 1942.1 Metric measurements - 1.30m x 0.6m x 0.05m.
Information from TS of Catalogue of Dunrobin Museum, by A S Henshall
Class I symbol stone bearing a crescent and V-rod,an elephant and a mirror-and -comb.
A.Mack 1997 p.125
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Mack, A. 1997. Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones. 125.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Ritchie, J N G. 1985. Pictish symbol stones: a handlist 1985. 14.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Davidson, J M. 1943. 'A Pictish symbol stone from Golspie, Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, Vol 77 (1942-43), pp 26-30.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Close-Brooks, J. 1981. 'Excavations in the Dairy Park, Dunrobin, Sutherland, 1977', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 110 1978-80, p.328-45. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 328-45. 334.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8338 0018 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6594 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.