MHG10940 - Battle Site, Kintradwell
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- CLEARANCE CAIRN (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- BATTLE SITE (Undated)
- None recorded
Centred: NC 895 065 Supposed Site of the Conflict of Clyne (NR) between the men of Caithness and Sutherland AD 1590 (NAT)
OS 6"map, Sutherland, 2nd ed., (1909)
In 1590 the Earl of Caithness invaded Sutherland, and at a place near Kintradwell, Easter Clynekirkton, a battle is said to have ensued between the Caithness men and the Gordons of Sutherland. The former retreated in disorder from the scene of the affray.
R Gordon 1813; Name Book 1872; A Mackay 1914; Anon nd.
No further information. The site occurs within a minor field system (NC90NW 17) denoted by field clearance heaps, these probably giving rise to the tradition.
Visited by OS (R L) 27 February 1968.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Anon. nd.. Brora official guide. 16.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Weber, H (ed). 1813. Genealogical history of the Earldom of Sutherland by Sir Robert Gordon of Gordonstoun. 202-3.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, D (ed.). 1914. History of the Province of Caithness and Sutherland from the Earliest Times to 1615. 184-5.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 5, 18.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8950 0649 (50m by 50m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6453 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.