MHG10948 - Achanellan Settlement
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Undated)
- None recorded
NC75SW 19 727 532.
(NC 727 532) Achanellan. The remains of a depopulated settlement which since it was under sheep-farming in 1873 (ONB 1873) was presumably one of those abandoned during the clearance of Strathnaver between 1814 and 1819.
Name Book 1873; J Prebble 1963.
Achanellan, a deserted township, comprises at least thirteen building footings, including five "long-houses". Ranging from 25 by 4 to 30 by 4m the rest vary from 7 by 4 to 18 by 4m. Associated are enclosures and field banks and, at NC 7278 5331, the remains of a corn-drying kiln. There is rig-and-furrow cultivation on the adjacent haugh of the River Naver.
Revised at 1:10 000. Visited by OS (J M) 19 July 1977.
This township, comprising six unroofed long buildings, six other unroofed buildings and four enclosures is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet xxvii). Seventeen unroofed buildings, and three enclosures are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1962),
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 22 August 1995
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 20, 187 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3351.
Prebble, J, 1963, The Highland clearances, 106-24 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2636.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7277 5325 (159m by 601m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6307 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.