MHG11 - Buildings at Clais Bhreac, Ardtornish
Three buildings are depicted on a plan of 1815. The scant remains of two buildings and a wall are still visible on the ground.
Type and Period (2)
- HOUSE (Occupied, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1841 AD? (between))
- WALL (Built, 19th Century - 1801 AD? to 1815 AD? (at some time))
- None recorded
Outline of one house cut by road immediately W of bridge, and probably another N of road. Period of occupation uncertain, not marked in 1755 or 1801; 1815 plan shows 3 houses but suggests recent abandonment. <1>
Two very dilapidated structures and a connecting wall were noted during a walkover survey at the north end of the Srath Shuardail plain, on the west bank of Allt na Claise Brice and just to the south of the bridge. These are presumably two of the three buildings recorded at Clais Bhreac in 1815. Subsequently the structures have deteriorated, probably under occasional flooding of the stream. A third building, recorded by Gaskell (<1>) as "immediately west of [the] bridge", and cut by the road, is no longer visible. The survey report recommends that the buildings be marked on the ground to avoid damage during road improvements.
Structure (a) is described as the SE corner of a round-angled rectangular building, probably orientated E-W. The remains of the south wall comprise a single course of stones, 2.10m long, 0.60m wide and 0.30m high, which turns eastwards for 1.80m before disappearing into hummocky ground.
Structure (b) is a rectangular outline of an earth and stone structure, c.6.20m E-W by 4.70m, situated to the north of structure (a). The western part is the best preserved, where the bank is 0.90m wide and 0.30m high.
Structure c). A low wall, 16m in length and consisting of a single course of stones and earth, connects the eastern end of the above structures. <2>
In August 2009, in advance of construction works for the new hydro scheme, an area was roped off to protect the rudimentary remains of this settlement as well as potential buried remains. It was noted that the area immediately adjacent to the existing road has already been disturbed by earlier road building. <3>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Gaskell, P. 1968. Morvern transformed: a highland parish in the nineteenth century. 140.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Robertson, J G. 2008. An Archaeological Survey of River Rannoch and Loch Tearnait, Ardtornish Estate, Morvern, Lochaber. Jennifer G Robertson. Digital. Site 11.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Robertson, J G. 09/2009. Loch Tearnait Hydro Scheme, Ardtornish Estate, Morvern, Lochaber, Highland: Report on the protection of archaeological sites. Jennifer G Robertson. Digital. Site 11.
|Grid reference||Centred NM 72980 47298 (49m by 60m) (Estimated from sources)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/81977 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.