MHG11008 - EBA Hoard, Baile-nan-Coille
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
A hoard of three Early Bronze Age halberd blades was found before May 1882 during gravel digging for road construction near Baile-nan-Coille, Strathbrora. They lay at the foot of a hill slope under 3ft of earth, and 1ft below the gravel surface. Two are in Dubrobin Museum, the third was lost by the finder.
Acc Nos 1880.3 and 4 (Info from TS of Catalogue of Dunrobin Museum, by A S Henshall).
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1882; J G Callander 1923; S P O'Riordain 1936; D Britton 1963; J M Coles 1971.
These two blades are on display in Dunrobin Museum
Visited by OS (N K B) 15 June 1976.
The two halberds were catalogued during an inventory of Dunrobin Castle Museum's collection in 2019 by ARCH. Listed under Acc. No. 1880.3-4. They are on display in case 28, shelf C. <1>
- --- SHG1472 Text/Publication/Article: Callander, J G. 1923. 'Scottish Bronze Age hoards', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 57 1922-3, p.123-66. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 123-66. 127, No. 10.
- --- SHG1474 Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1971. 'Scottish Early Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 101 1968-9, p.1-110. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 1-110. 87.
- --- SHG1676 Text/Publication/Article: O'Riordain, S P. 1936. 'The halberd in Bronze Age Europe', Archaeologia Vol. 86 1936, p.195-321. Archaeologia. 195-321. 203-4, 312, Nos. 24-5.
- --- SHG1763 Text/Publication/Article: Britton, D. 1963. 'Traditions of metal-working in the later Neolithic and early Bronze Age of Britain: Part I', Proc Prehist Soc Vol. 29 1963, p.258-325. Proc Prehist Soc. 258-325. 315, No. III 6.
- --- SHG605 Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1882. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, and exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 16 1881-2, p.9-15, 37-40, 58-61, 144-56,176-80,236-41,401-18. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 9-15, 37-40, 58-61, 144-5. 240.
- <1> SHG28514 Collection/Finds Collection: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection At Dunrobin Castle Museum. 1880.3-4.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8000 1100 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- HOARD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- HALBERD (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6615 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.