MHG11027 - Cairn, Kinbrace Farm
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NC82NE 10 8741 2916.
Cairn (NR). OS 6"map, (1962)
A cairn, 18.0m E-W by 15.0m N-S and 2.0m high. In 1909 the RCAHMS (RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909) noted that it had been opened but no cist or chamber was exposed. The top part is now composed of small stones and the lower is heather-covered.
Visited by OS (E G C) 26 May 1961
The cairn is now situated on a ride within an area of afforestation. It is generally as described above. Two probable kerb stones are visible on the E side.
Revised at 1/10,000. Visited by OS (J B) 24 November 1976
This cairn could not be located amidst dense afforestation.
Visited by RCAHMS (DCC) 31 July 1991.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 129, No. 371.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Cowley, D.C., Dixon, P.J. and Ritchie, J.N.G.. 1993. Strath of Kildonan: an archaeological survey. RCAHMS. . Paper and Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8741 2916 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM3323 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6637 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.