MHG11028 - Souterrain, Upper Suisgill
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- SOUTERRAIN (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
- None recorded
NC 89172511) Earth House (NR). OS 6"map, (1962)
The remains of a souterrain on a level meadow. The passage is visible for distance of 24' curving to give a chord of 19' between the extremities on inner side. It is 2'6" to 3' with built sides and slab roof. In two places roof slabs have been removed and interior is largely filled with earth and stone. Neither extremity is open.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; A B Scott 1899
This souterrain is as described by the RCAHM.
Visited by OS (E G C) 31 May 1961
No change to previous field report; there is no trace of an associated hut circle. Visited by OS (J B) 2 December 1976
This souterrain is situated on the improved haugh-land on N side of River Helmsdale. It is banana-shaped on plan and measures 10m across chord; passage is 0.8m wide and at the SE end, where the roof-slabs survive, stands to a height of 0.55m.
Visited by RCAHMS (DCC) 6 June 1991.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Scott, A B. 1899. 'The earth-houses of Kildonan, Sutherland', The Scottish Antiquary or Northern Notes and Queries Vol. 13 April 1899, p.155-60. The Scottish Antiquary or Northern Notes and Queri. 155-60. 155-60.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 119, No. 342.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Cowley, D.C., Dixon, P.J. and Ritchie, J.N.G.. 1993. Strath of Kildonan: an archaeological survey. RCAHMS. . Paper and Digital.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Barclay, G. J.. 1987. Excavations at Upper Suisgill, Sutherland (PSAS Vol.115). Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 115. 159-98. 176.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8917 2511 (40m by 40m) (2 map features)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6638 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.