MHG11068 - Rimsdale
No summary available.
Type and Period (4)
- TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- RIG AND FURROW (Undated)
- HEAD DYKE (Undated)
- SHIELING SETTLEMENT (Undated)
- None recorded
Rimsdale. The remains of a depopulated settlement, cleared in 1814, accompanied by a large area of arable. The present roofed building was not in existence in 1873 at which time only a shepherd's house at NC 7392 4005 was occupied. The associated arable land stretched for about 1800m along both banks of the Rimsdale Burn.
Name Book 1873; A MacKenzie 1946; OS 6"map, Sutherland, 1st ed. (1873)
The remains of this abandoned township exist with ruinous field walls and about a dozen footings of enclosures and buildings; run-rig cultivation is evident. A later shepherd's house occupies the southern extent. On the east bank of the Burn are scatters of shieling-type bothies (see also NC74SW 8)
Visited by OS (J M) 18 May 1977.
A township, comprising one roofed building, four unroofed buildings, an enclosed field, three enclosures and a head-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (utherland 1878, sheet xlv). One roofed buildings, eleven unroofed buildings, three unroofed structures, four enclosures and the head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,000 map (1988).
Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 9 October 1995.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7420 4035 (631m by 810m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6205 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.