MHG11074 - Chambered Cairn, Skelpick South
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NC75NW 10 7249 5605.
Horned Cairn (NR) OS 6"map, (1964)
A short, horned cairn of bare stone, situated in rough grazing on a terrace above the valley floor. The body of the cairn is about 8ft high and 43ft in diameter. Although it has been robbed and disturbed, and is now crossed by a wall and fence. No structure is visible within the cairn and the chamber may well be intact. The horns are well-defined, radiating to approximately the cardinal points.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; A S Henshall 1963.
A short horned cairn as described. Visited by OS (JLD) 2 5 1960.
No change. Visited by OS (J B) 1 August 1977.
Donald Mackay & John Stuart, 1875, 'Notice of excavations in cairns in Strathnaver, Sutherlandshire.', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 10 1874, p.519-23, 519-23 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG3013.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 82, No. 238 (Text/Report). SHG2657.
Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 330, SUT 55 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 82, No. 238.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Donald Mackay & John Stuart. 1875. 'Notice of excavations in cairns in Strathnaver, Sutherlandshire.', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 10 1874, p.519-23. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 519-23. 519-23.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 330, SUT 55.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7249 5605 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:1816 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1816 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6211 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.