MHG11087 - Chambered Cairn - Kinbrace Farm
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
NC82NE 2 8688 2935.
Chambered Cairn (NR). (SUT 35) OS 6"map, (1962)
A large and apparently intact, round, chambered cairn of bare stones whose only disturbance appears to have been on the east and SE sides. The diameter is about 87' E-W by 83', and the height at least 9'. It appears to have been built on a platform, since a level area of turf-covered cairn material stretches out for 22' from the base, and beyond this heather is growing. A little inside the ESE edge of the cairn, two large upright slabs are set 1' 3" apart and appear to be the portals at the entrance to the passage.
A S Henshall 1963; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; Visited by OS (EGC) 25 May 1961.
No change to previous reports.
Revised at 1/10,000 Visited by OS (J B) 11 January 1977
A large round cairn in a clearing in the forest measures about 17m from N to S and 12.7m transversely with a height of some 3.2m. The cairn appears to have been set on a low platform extending some 6.5m from the base. Two large upright stones can be seen a little within the ESE edge of the cairn, the more northerly measuring 0.7m by 0.33m and 1.35m in height with the more southerly 0.35m by 0,33m and 1.12m in height. The slabs are some 0.38m apart with their faces at an angle to one another; they do not appear to be kerbstones, and are more likely to form the portals at the entrance to a passage.
Visited by RCAHMS (JNGR and DCC) 31 July 1991
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 129, No. 368; plate IV.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Cowley, D.C., Dixon, P.J. and Ritchie, J.N.G.. 1993. Strath of Kildonan: an archaeological survey. RCAHMS. . Paper and Digital.
- --- Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. Vol. 1, 321, No. 35 (SUT 35).
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8687 2935 (80m by 80m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1797 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6647 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.