MHG11110 - Holy Well, Loch Ma Naire
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- HOLY WELL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NC75SW 15 726 537.
A holy well in the vicinity of Loch ma Naire (Horsburgh 1870) (NC 726 537) had a place in the ceremonies associated with the healing properties which made the loch a resort of sick people from the neighbouring counties as late as the mid - 19th century.
NSA (written by Rev D MacKenzie - 1834) 1845; J Horsburgh 1870; Name Book 1873.
The holy well has not located during field investigation.
Visited by OS (J L D) 6 May 1960
No change to the previous field report.
Visited by OS (J M) 19 July 1977.
Achargary (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG17804.
Name Book (County), Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey, Book No. 20, 187 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG3351.
NSA, 1845, The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy, Vol. 15, Sutherland, 72 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2597.
Horsburgh, J, 1870, 'Notes of cromlechs, duns, hut-circles, chambered cairns, and other remains, in the County of Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7, 1866-8, pp 271-9, 272 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG1182.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Horsburgh, J. 1870. 'Notes of cromlechs, duns, hut-circles, chambered cairns, and other remains, in the County of Sutherland', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7, 1866-8, pp 271-9. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 272.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Achargary. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: NSA. 1845. The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy. Vol. 15, Sutherland, 72.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Name Book (County). Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey. Book No. 20, 187.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 7259 5370 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6303 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.