MHG1129 - Carved Stone Ball - Ben-a-Chielt
Findspot of Neolithic carved stone ball.
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 1501 BC?)
- None recorded
A type 4a (six knobs, not very prominent) carved stone ball, 'found in a peat moss on the hill of Benicheillt' is in RMS (AS 15). (Name: Red Moss published on OS 1:10,000 map 1976 at ND 192 376.)
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1881; D N Marshall 1979
Listed under Acc. No. AS 15 in the NMS catalogue. It is pictured on the NMS online collections database, however the Acc. No. is in error here, listed as AS 159. This Acc. No. refers to different a carved stone ball with the NMS catalogue (see MHG60981). <1>
This carved stone ball was loaned to Dunbeath Heritage Museum where it is on display. <2>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Marshall, D N. 1979. 'Carved stone balls', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 108 1976-7, p.40-72. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 40-72. 65.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: PSAS. 1881. 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library, with exhibits', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 15 1880-1, p.5-10,73-81,105-112,154-8,188-94,249-253. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 5-10,73-81,105-112,154-8,. 156.
- <1> Dataset/Database File: National Museums Scotland. 2019. Highland Finds from the NMS Catalogue. National Museums Scotland. Digital. AS 15.
- <2> Text/Record Form/Project Recording Form: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Dunbeath Heritage Centre Archives.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1899 3700 (4m by 4m) (Buffered by site type)|
- BALL (RITUAL) (Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 1501 BC?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-180-001-324-C& (Link to NMS online collections database)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8115 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.