MHG11330 - Field system, Loch Borralan
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Medieval to 19th Century - 1058 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NC21SE 27 257 114.
NC 2585 1142. A grass and gorse-covered field system with large upstanding stones and associated enclosures. The fields lie NW-SE and the walls run along and across the contours.
R J Mercer 1978. <1>
NC 257 114. Old head bank and internal field divisions.
Visited by OS (JM) 14 August 1980.
Surveyed by the Assynt's Hidden Lives project in November 2009. This field system was not observed at the previously quoted grid reference. However, on the east side of the road, a relict field system lies within a field of improved pasture on the lower slopes of a hill which slopes quite steeply from NW to SE. No trace of the described head dyke or upstanding stones noted previously was observed but turf covered linear stone banks up to 0.5m in height were recorded. At least three upstanding banks were seen with two running NE-SW and one running NW-SE covering an area of approximately 100m by 100m, probably representing field divisions. The construction method is unclear due to turf covering the surviving stonework and there is significant modern disturbance. <2>
The NGR was adjusted in line with the information provided in <2>. <3>
Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG4463.
<1> Mercer, R. J. & Howell, J.M., 1980, Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland, 1976-1979, No. 35 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG2510.
<2> Cavers, G & Hudson, G, 05/2010, Assynt's Hidden Lives: An archaeological survey of the the parish, 14, p.71 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG24882.
<3> Carey, G, 2010-2011, Comment by Giles Carey, HER Officer (Verbal Communication). SHG24799.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): B/W Negative. .
- <1> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Mercer, R. J. & Howell, J.M.. 1980. Archaeological field survey in northern Scotland, 1976-1979. University of Edinburgh. 30/01/1980. Paper and Digital. No. 35.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Cavers, G & Hudson, G. 05/2010. Assynt's Hidden Lives: An archaeological survey of the the parish. AOC Archaeology Group and Historic Assynt. 01/08/2010. Digital. 14, p.71.
- <3> Verbal Communication: Carey, G. 2010-2011. Comment by Giles Carey, HER Officer.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2563 1160 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/70432 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.