MHG11335 - Allt A' Chalda Mor
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NC22SW 13 245 235.
NC 245 235. Two unnamed buildings shown N of stream.
Home's Survey of Assynt 1774-5. <1>
Two subrectangular stone footings 6.5m by 5m and 8m by 3m and 0.4m high. Each abuts on to an enclosure or field wall.
Visited by OS (JB) 12 August 1980.
One unroofed structure and two lengths of wall are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879, sheet lxxi). One length of wall and what may be part of an enclosure are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1967).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 14 September 1995
Surveyed by the Assynt's Hidden Lives project in December 2009. Situated on a flat terrace north of a burn are two drystone structures. Structure A consists of one main room with a curvilinear additional compartment to the north abutting the south side of the head dyke associated with the settlement of Eader A’ Chalda. Structure B is a rectangular structure of random rubble construction with a similar associated enclosure. It measures 6m by 4m. Both are built from limestone, aligned N/S with their front wall on the west. <2>
Further survey and research was conducted by Historic Assynt, as part of a wider Scotland's Rural Past Project. Two buildings, noted by Home, were recorded. The footings of the first suggests a small dry-stone house within an enclosure. The other, lying nearby, appears to have been modified at least once. It was possible a largely turf-built house of approx 10m x 4m internally which was subsequently partly rebuilt in stone to create a living space of 6m x 4m with an enclosure or outbuilding attached. <3>
- <1> Text/Publication/Volume: Home, J. 1774-5. Survey of Assynt.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Cavers, G & Hudson, G. 05/2010. Assynt's Hidden Lives: An archaeological survey of the parish. AOC Archaeology Group and Historic Assynt. 01/08/2010. Digital. 84, p.106.
- <3> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Sleight, G. 2010. Eadar A' Chalda: report, plans and photographs. Historic Assynt. 01/09/2010. Digital. Sites G, H.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 2457 2361 (49m by 102m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (2)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/70437 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.