MHG1136 - Turf Bank, Cnoc an T-Searraich
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- TURF BANK (Post Medieval - 1560 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Construction (remains): Some 2.5 miles NNW of Mullbuie, at the S end of Loch a' Cheracher flow (ND 135 365) and to the E of the Allt Badain Ghuirm, is visible the base of a turf bank along the edge of the flow, forming a segment of a circle, with a chord of 200 yds. The surface on both sides is boggy. The base of the bank is now some 12ft wide and its elevation trifling. Its purpose has probably been to prevent cattle wandering into the flow.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.
Not found during field investigation.
Visited by OS (W D J) 1 July 1970.
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 83, No. 300 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1350 3650 (30m by 30m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8122 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.