MHG1138 - Chambered Cairn, Houstry
An Orkney-Cromarty, Camster type, chambered cairn.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Chambered Cairn (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1979.
An Orkney-Cromarty, Camster type, round chambered cairn. A considerably robbed cairn with N-S axis through the main chamber of 55ft by about 70ft across it. It is free of vegetation but its edge is indistinct. The chamber, represented by the tops of five slabs, was probably entered by a passage from the S edge of the cairn.
RCAHMS 1911; A S Henshall 1963. <1><2>
A 'heel-shaped' chambered cairn, mainly as described by Henshall (1963). It is defined in the S by a straight kerb of drystone walling, three courses high and about 10 m long. The kerb is obscured by tumble elsewhere. The entrance is visible as a break just off centre in the S kerb.
Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 11 March 1968.
No change. Visited by OS (J M) 19 October 1982.
This cairn is as described by Davidson and Henshall (1991) <3> and its position was resurveyed for the OS 1:2500 revision programme.
Visited by RCAHMS (SH) August 1997
This cairn was visited during a walkover survey in July 2009 and found to be as described. <4>
Chambered cairn, Houstry, Dunbeath (long view). (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG11922.
Untitled Source (Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph). SHG3910.
Puls, A, 2007, Cairns - Houstry Road (Image/Photograph(s)). SHG25810.
<1> RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 73, No. 265 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
<2> Henshall, A S, 1963, The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1, 274, CAT 29 (Text/Publication/Monograph). SHG357.
<3> Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S, 1991, The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents, 117-18, no. 29; plan (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2115.
<4> Farrell, S, 07/2009, Report of Archaeological Desktop & Walkover Survey, Knockinnon, Houstry, Site 2 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG24446.
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Chambered cairn, Houstry, Dunbeath (long view).. Colour Slide; Digital Image. .
- --- Image/Photograph(s): Puls, A. 2007. Cairns - Houstry Road. Colour digital.
- --- Image/Photograph(s)/Aerial Photograph: B/W Negative. .
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 73, No. 265.
- <2> Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 274, CAT 29.
- <3> Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 117-18, no. 29; plan.
- <4> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Farrell, S. 07/2009. Report of Archaeological Desktop & Walkover Survey, Knockinnon, Houstry. Unaffiliated. Digital. Site 2.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 15312 33149 (20m by 20m) (Centred)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:445 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM445 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8125 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.