MHG1140 - Broch, Rhemullen
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BROCH (Iron Age - 550 BC to 560 AD)
Broch (NR) (remains of) OS 1:10,000 map, (1979)
About 1/4 mile NW of the Bridge of Rhemullen is a grassy knoll on which are the foundations of numerous compartments of a complex structure. The protruding stones and slabs suggest that it has been of the galleried type, but its plan is quite indefinite. On the W, at the edge of the hillock, there is exposed a portion of wall about 4ft in height which suggests a broch, but there are no other indications of such a structure, and it is possibly the outer wall of a galleried dwelling.
RCAHMS 1911. <1>
A short stretch of curved drystone walling at W edge of a hummocky mound, 19m diameter, is all that remains of what is undoubtedly a broch. To SE of mound are several upright stones and slabs in disturbed ground, indicating a probable associated settlement.
Resurveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (N K B) 11 March 1968.
A turf-covered, level-topped, disturbed mound, 19m in diameter by 1.3m high, in NW edge of which is a course of stones indicating a portion of outside face of a broch. There are indications of adjacent structures on S side of broch mound, but these are too vague for measurable details. There are considerable sections of consumption walling in the region of the site.
Revised at 1:2500 Visited by OS (J M) 11 November 1982.
This site was noted by Archaeology North Ltd during a 2011 DBA and walkover survey in advance of a woodland creation scheme. There were no notes, and it was unclear whether the site was visited during the survey. <2>
Morrison A, 1985, Dunbeath Survey-1984-1985 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG20974.
<1> RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 71, No. 261 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
<2> Higgins, P, 2011, Balnatink Archaeological Walkover Survey (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG25820.
- --- Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Morrison A. 1985. Dunbeath Survey-1984-1985. University of Glasgow. . Digital (scanned as PDF).
- <1> Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 71, No. 261.
- <2> Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Higgins, P. 2011. Balnatink Archaeological Walkover Survey. Archaeology North Ltd. Digital.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1507 3134 (70m by 70m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:574 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM574 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8128 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.