MHG11407 - Sron Chrubaidh

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • TOWNSHIP (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NC21NE 4 253 187.

(Centred NC 2517 1876) Inchdauf is shown as a group of about four buildings on the E side of the River Loanan, having arable stretching N and S along the bank of the river (W Roy 1747). Deserted by 1878 (OS 6"map, {1878})
W Roy 1747; OS 6"map, Sutherland, 1st ed., (1878) <1>

Shown as a group of eight buildings centred at NC 2518 1880
J Home 1774-5. <2>

The only remains anywhere near this area are the dry-stone foundations, 0.4m high, of one building at NC 2499 1898 near the present occupied farm.
Visited by OS (R D L) 6 June 1962.

Centred on NC 253 187, along slopes E of the modern fields are the remains of a township abandoned in the 18th/19th century. There are six main building footings, ranging in size between 9.0m by 4.5m and 13.0m by 5.0m, two of which are incorporated in a banked enclosure some 20.0m by 25.0m across. Two further footings, 6.0m by 4.0m and 6.5m by 3.5m, one to the NW, at NC 2506 1907, the other on the exposed crown of the hill at NC 2543 1866, appear of a subsidiary nature; E of the latter is the course of a head-bank.
Surveyed at 1:10,000.
Visited by OS (J M) 11 July 1980.

NC 26 20 (centre) A rapid archaeological assessment was undertaken over c 10sqkm of the Inchnadamph National Nature Reserve. Features such as the ?Bone Caves? And the shielings had been recorded previously. This survey recorded evidence of post-medieval settlement and agricultural use in addition to that marked on the OS map and the remains of a prehistoric settlement and possible burial cairn:
NC 2545 1869 Rough boulder dyke forming irregular enclosure, containing two rectilinear structures of drystone construction. The enclosure abuts a linear boulder dyke that follows the 190m OD contour for at least 700m.
NC 2532 1886 Slight remains of rectilinear structure.
A copy of the report has been lodged with the NMRS.
Sponsor: SNH.
J Harden 1996 <3>

Surveyed by the Assynt's Hidden Lives project in November 2009. A series of very ruinous structures are situated along the south side of Allt Mor. On two of the structures only partial wall remnants are now visible although others may survive below the thick heather and mossy grass cover. A flattish area to the west of the two buildings is visible and partially enclosed on the east and south by a low earth and stone bank. The eastern limit of the site may be delineated by an earthen dyke, aligned N-S with an E-W return at its northern limit, measuring 1.5m wide and c.0.75m high. <4>


<1> Roy, W, 1747-55, Military Survey of Scotland, Sheet No. 34/3 (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2745.


<2> Home, J, 1774-5, Survey of Assynt (Text/Publication/Volume). SHG2323.


<3> Harden, J, 1996, 'Inchnadamph (Assynt parish), survey', Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1996, p.59, 59 (Text/Publication/Article). SHG915.


<4> Cavers, G & Hudson, G, 05/2010, Assynt's Hidden Lives: An archaeological survey of the the parish, 45, p.83 (Text/Report/Fieldwork Report). SHG24882.

Sources/Archives (4)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NC 2529 1870 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NC21NE
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish ASSYNT

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (1)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.