MHG1143 - Standing Stone, Latheron
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- STANDING STONE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Standing Stone (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1979)
A large upright stone block which has been badly split from top to bottom. Facing NNW-SSE, it is almost 3ft thick and 4ft 10ins across its widest face. (See also ND23SW 7: standing stone.)
A standing stone, as described by the RCAHMS.
Visited by OS (N K B) 13 March 1968.
No change. Visited by OS (J M) 14 October 1982.
HCAU site visit. No change. <1>
RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 79, No. 289 (Text/Report). SHG2664.
<1> Puls, A, Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist (Verbal Communication). SHG23286.
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness. . 79, No. 289.
- <1> Verbal Communication: Puls, A. Comment by Andrew Puls, HC Archaeologist.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1992 3373 (10m by 10m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (3)
- http://data.historic-scotland.gov.uk/pls/htmldb/f?p=2300:35:1177880253467667::::P35_SELECTED_MONUMENT:461 (Historic Scotland scheduled monument description (old hyperlink))
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM461 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8132 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.