MHG11449 - Stables, St. Mary's Church, Eskadale
An unusual survival of a stable designed for temporary accommodation of riding horses during Mass, built c.1826.
Type and Period (2)
- STABLE (19th Century - 1826 AD? to 1826 AD?)
- STOREHOUSE (In use, 20th Century to 21st Century - 1950 AD? to 2100 AD)
A near square, harled rubble stable block with roughly tooled rubble dressings and a piended slate roof. The interior is simple comprising a timber roof supported by chamfered wooden columns which also served as tethering posts, with a cobbled floor. The rings used for this purpose are still present. Slots in the posts were used to place partitions which divided the space into between 10 and 12 stalls. The building is currently in use as a store. The site was photographed in January 2009 by Eddie Freeman. <1><2>
|Grid reference||Centred NH 45301 39896 (14m by 15m) (Mastermap)|
|Civil Parish||KILTARLITY AND CONVINTH|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/LB8076 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/229060 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.