MHG1148 - Hut Circle, Minera

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • HUT CIRCLE (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

Some 150 yds SSE of the hut circle described on ND13SE 20, there is another, measuring 32ft in diameter within a turf and stone bank which has several large block in situ on the inner and outer faces, giving a wall thickness of 7 to 8ft. The position of the entrance is not apparent. A hut circle at ND 1589 3457, as described by the RCAHMS. There is no evidence of an associated field system.
Surveyed at 1:2500. RCAHMS 1911.

(ND 1589 3457) Hut Circle (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1979)

There are two hut circles: 'A', at ND 1589 3457, and 'B', newly located at ND 1587 3453. The huts are generally depleted and are grass and heather-covered; their entrances are not evident.
'A' measures overall approximately 15m N-S by 12.5m transversely. No facing stones can now be identified in a wall spread at most pronounced to 2.5m broad by 0.2m high.
'B' measures some 14m idiameter overall. The wall is obscure except in W where it gives a spread up to 4m broad by 0.5m high. Associated land-use is indicated by one or two heaps of stone clearance in the vicinity of the huts. There are occasional traces of field walls or banks.
'A' revised at 1:2500. 'B' surveyed at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (J M) 9 Octber 1982.

This hut-circle (OS A) is situated 180m SSE of the hut-circle ND13SE 20 and immediately E of a field boundary in an area of recently burnt heather. It measures 16.7m from N to S by 14.5m transversely within a wall largely reduced to a bank some 2.8m in thickness and 0.5m in maximum height. Seven displaced outer facing-stones are visible, five of them on the W, giving the impression they have been deliberately moved at a relatively recent date. The entrance is possibly on SE.
The second hut-circle (OS B) noted by OS surveyors in 1982 could not be located on date of visit, despite an intensive search. All that could be found at the location given was a short length of earth and stone bank.
Visited by RCAHMS (DE, IP) August 1997


RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Third report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Caithness, 62, No. 227 (Text/Report). SHG2664.

Sources/Archives (1)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred ND 1580 3450 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet ND13SE
Civil Parish LATHERON
Geographical Area CAITHNESS

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.