MHG11515 - Druim Baile Fuir
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
Scheduled Ancient Monument Management Plan, 1st April 2003 to 31st March 2008. HS, 11/03/03. See assoc. docs. File.
J Aitken : 25/03/03
NC50SE 17 5609 0286.
(Centred NC 559 028) About 100 yards SSE of the hut circle (NC50SE 1) is a mound, believed to be a cairn, overgrown with grass, and measuring about 25ft in diameter and 2ft 3ins high. On its NW face three large pointed stones stand in line of the circumference (the largest 2ft 2ins high, 2ft 2ins broad at base, and 1ft thick) with their broad faces outwards. Three similar stones lie as if displaced in the line of the circumference towards the S.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.
Not found in re-afforested area.
Visited by OS (R D L) 26 June 1963.
At NC 5609 0286, near the summit of a conifer-covered hill and on a change of slope to the SW, is a low, grassy swelling some 8.0m diameter and 0.2m high. It is much disturbed by deep ploughing and is planted with trees; one or two large stones show on the periphery and also in the mound. This may well be the alleged cairn, but the present state precludes proper assessment.
Visited by OS (J M) 31 August 1976.
Re-scheduled by Historic Scotland, 10/03/02.
See assoc. docs. File for SMR NC50SE0012.
J Aitken : 23/05/02.
- --- Text/Report/Management Plan: Forestry Commission & Historic Scotland. 2008. Druim Baile Fiur, Stone Circle, Cairns and Hut Circles 1200 m NW of Achany. Digital (scanned as PDF).
- --- Text/Report: RCAHMS. 1911. The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland. . 156, No. 451.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 5609 0285 (14m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM1784 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/5078 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.