MHG11516 - Battle Site, Helmsdale
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- BATTLE SITE (Post Medieval - 1560 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
In March 1587, the Earl of Caithness supported by the Strathnaver men led by Huistean Du, and by a contingent of Orcadians led by the Master of Orkney, invaded Sutherland and reached Helmsdale.
A MacKay 1914.
The Earl of Sutherland had a strong force of his own men, some MacIntoshes, Munroes of Contalich, Mackenzies of Redcastle and some Macleods of Assynt, posted on the S side of the river. There was some skirmishing between the two armies for several days. Sutherland sent MacIntosh by night to bargain with Mackay into deserting his ally, Caithness. This was unsuccessful. Later he tried this with Caithness and they drew up a truce from which Mackay was excluded. Mackay learning this, marched his men back to Strathnaver in disgust.
R Gordon 1813; J Nicoll 1910.
- --- SHG2273 Text/Publication/Volume: Weber, H (ed). 1813. Genealogical history of the Earldom of Sutherland by Sir Robert Gordon of Gordonstoun. 194.
- --- SHG2457 Text/Publication/Volume: Beaton, D (ed.). 1914. History of the Province of Caithness and Sutherland from the Earliest Times to 1615. 178-9.
- --- SHG2575 Text/Publication/Volume: Nicol, J. 1910. Orkney and Shetland miscellany. 110.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 0199 1500 (50m by 50m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/7455 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.