MHG1152 - Chambered Cairn, Buoldhu
A burial cairn, probably chambered.
Type and Period (1)
- CHAMBERED CAIRN (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2401 BC)
A possibly chambered cairn of uncertain type. The last grass-grown remnants of a cairn 48ft in diameter, crossed by a modern sheep shelter, lie on the hillside just under 1/4 mile NW of the cairn of Houstry (ND13SE 1). Various large slabs protrude through the turf. The two longest slabs on S side of the wall are 1ft high above the present ground level, while the two at right angles to the wall and the slab to the N of them are 2ft high. The number and size of the slabs indicate that the cairn has probably covered a chamber or chambers, but at present the plan is uncertain.
A S Henshall 1963. <1>
A chambered cairn at ND 1501 3337, as described by Henshall.
Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (BN K B) 11 March 1968.
Chambered Cairn (NR) OS 1:10,000 map, (1979)
No change. Visited by OS (JM) 19 October 1982.
This enigmatic structure is not now considered to be a chambered cairn.J L Davidson and A S Henshall 1991. <2>
Although the stone structure at the heart of this low stony mound has been discounted as the remains of a chamber by Davidson and Henshall (1991), it is difficult to see what else it may have been. The slabs are slighter than might have been expected of a chambered tomb, but they evidently outline more than the remains of a cist. Furthermore, there is little doubt that the stony mound is the remains of a cairn measuring about 16m in diameter. The position of the cairn was resurveyed for the OS 1:2500 revision programme.
Visited by RCAHMS (SH) August 1997
This site was visited during a walkover survey in July 2009 and found to be as described. The sheep shelter/fold stands to a height of 1.3m and is 14m in length. A large upright stone on the north side of the wall may be part of the chamber. <3>
- --- SHG25810 Image/Photograph(s): Puls, A. 2007. Cairns - Houstry Road. Colour digital.
- <1> SHG357 Text/Publication/Monograph: Henshall, A S. 1963. The chambered tombs of Scotland, Volume 1. 260, No. 10; plan.
- <2> SHG2115 Text/Publication/Volume: Davidson, JL and Henshall, A S. 1991. The chambered cairns of Caithness: an inventory of the structures and their contents. 94, no. CAT 10.
- <3> SHG24446 Text/Report/Fieldwork Report: Farrell, S. 07/2009. Report of Archaeological Desktop & Walkover Survey, Knockinnon, Houstry. Unaffiliated. Digital. Site 1.
|Grid reference||Centred ND 1501 3336 (15m by 14m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (1)
External Links (2)
- http://portal.historicenvironment.scot/designation/SM5224 (Online designation description (Historic Environment Scotland))
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/8142 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.