MHG11547 - Tomich
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- FARMSTEAD (Undated)
- None recorded
NC82NW 39 815 268.
This farmstead is situated in rough ground above the N bank of the Abhainn na Frithe on the E flank of Tomich and to the NNE of the present fields; it comprises two rectangular buildings, 120m apart, with a head-dyke running between the two and traces of rig on its river-side. The building at the SW end of the dyke is a long structure of four compartments, built across the contour; it measures 31.5m from WNW to ESE by 2.7m transversely within rubble walls spread to 1.1m in thickness and standing up to 0.3m in height. That at the NE end is smaller and measures 9.3m from NE to SW by 2.5m transversely within stony banks spread to 0.9m in thickness and 0.3m in height.
The farm of Tomich was occupied by two tenants in 1808, but was combined with Feranach in 1815 and let to Hugh Sutherland as a sheep-run. (Adam 1972)
Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 1991
R J Adam 1972.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8149 2680 (100m by 100m) (Buffered by site type)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/72351 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.