MHG11574 - Newton

Summary

No summary available.

Type and Period (1)

  • HUT CIRCLE (Neolithic to Late Iron Age - 4000 BC to 560 AD)

Protected Status

  • None recorded

Full Description

NH78NW 7 7117 8787 to 7157 8804.

(A: NH 7152 8800) Enclosure (NR) (B: NH 7134 8788) Enclosure (NR)
OS 25" map, (1969)

(Centred NH 715 879) Cairns (NR)
OS 6" map, (1969)

Two stone-walled huts (A and B), on a wooded plateau.
Hut 'A' is completely overgrown with whin so that no details can be seen. According to the RCAHMS (1911), it measures 27ft by 31ft within a bank 5ft to 6ft wide, with its entrance from the SE.
Hut 'B', obscured by fallen trees, is oval, measuring some 15.0m WNW-ESE by 13.0m transversely between the centres of a wall spread to about 2.5m all round. There is an ill-defined break in the ESE arc, probably the entrance.
About 50m N of the hut is an elongated mound, described by the RCAHMS as measuring 49ft by 15ft. It is probably a linear clearance heap. There are several stone clearance heaps in the wood, probably from cultivation plots contemporary with the huts. Two of these are described as mounds by the RCAHMS.
RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909; Visited by OS (N K B) 24 October 1969.

In conifer woodland on a raised beach level is a settlement of three turf-covered hut circles (A - C), accompanied by some heaps of field clearance, the latter mainly in the region of huts 'A' and 'C'. 'A' and 'B' are published, "C' is located at NH 7157 8800.
'A' meaures 10.0m by 8.5m over a wall reduced to a rubble spread 2.0m to 2.5m broad and up to 0.5m high. The entrance is in the SE, on the line of the long axis.
'B' measures 13.5m by 11.5m within a rubble wall spread to 2.5m broad and 0.3m high. A depression in the SE, on the line of the long axis, may indicate the entrance. The hut has been planted over with trees.
'C', levelled back into the slope, measures 11.0m by 9.5m within a wall reduced to a rubble spread some 3.0m broad and 0.5m high. The entrance is in the SE on the line of the long axis. The E arc of the hut has been incorporated in the line of an old plantation bank.
Surveyed at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (J M) 18 September 1980.


RCAHMS, 1911, The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Second report and inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of Sutherland, 23, No. 59 (Text/Report). SHG2657.

Sources/Archives (1)

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred NH 7145 8795 (285m by 184m) (Buffered by site type)
Map sheet NH78NW
Geographical Area SUTHERLAND
Civil Parish CREICH

Finds (0)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Investigations/Events (0)

External Links (1)

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.