MHG11599 - EBA Armlets and Cremation - Uppat
No summary available.
Type and Period (1)
- CREMATION (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
- None recorded
NC80SE 19 87 02.
An EBA hoard consisting of two plain, bronze, bar armlets was found in 1827, 5 feet below the surface, near an Earth House (?NC80SE 5) on the line of dyke behind Uppat, (Palace of History 1911) (NC 87 02), leading to the Water of Brora (Information from TS of Catalogue of Dunrobin Museum by A S Henshall).
They are said to have been associated with cremated burials (Gunn and MacKay 1897).
The armlets are in Dunrobin Castle Museum (Acc.No X47).
A Gunn and J Mackay 1897; Palace of History 1911; J M Coles 1971.
The armlets were catalogued during an inventory of Dunrobin Castle Museum's collection in 2019 by ARCH. Listed under Acc. No. X47. They are on display in case 28, shelf C. <1>
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Coles, J M. 1971. 'Scottish Early Bronze Age metalwork', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 101 1968-9, p.1-110. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 1-110. 89, 109.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Gunn and Mackay, A and J (eds.). 1897. Sutherland and the Reay country: history, antiquities, folklore, topographical, regiments, ecclesiastical records, poetry and music etc. 103.
- --- Text/Publication/Volume: Glaister, J (et al). 1911. Scottish exhibition of national history, art and industry, Glasgow (1911): Palace of History catalogue of exhibits. Vol. 2, 847, No. 15.
- <1> Collection/Finds Collection: Archaeology for Communities in the Highlands (ARCH). 2019. Finds Collection At Dunrobin Castle Museum. X47.
|Grid reference||Centred NC 8700 0199 (6m by 6m) (Buffered by site type)|
- ARMLET (Bronze Age - 2400 BC to 551 BC)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/6523 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.