MHG11631 - Hut Circle and Cairns - Achinchanter
No summary available.
Type and Period (2)
- HUT CIRCLE SETTLEMENT (Undated)
- CAIRN (Undated)
- None recorded
NH89SW 8 80 91.
There are numerous hut circles and small tumuli close to the high water mark on the links near Dornoch and Embo. The hut circles are generally from 20 to 30ft in diameter, nearly circular, with entrances in the SE. The tumuli (soil & stone), are 2 to 4ft high and 4 to 7ft in diameter. Some hut circles excavated revealing traces of fire in one.
A spearhead of rough workmanship was found near one of the hut circles which was close to the cairn NH89SW 1.
L Tait 1870.
No trace. The area is now partly occupied by a golf course, and partly overgrown with whin.
Visited by OS (N K B) 3 November 1969.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Tait, L. 1870. 'Note of a Kist, with a Cup-marked cover, found in a mound on the Links of Dornoch', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7 1866-8, p.270. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 270. 270.
- --- Text/Publication/Article: Tait, L. 1870. 'Notes on the shell mounds, hut-circles, and kistvaans of Sutherlands', Proc Soc Antiq Scot Vol. 7 1866-8, p.525-32. Proc Soc Antiq Scot. 525-32. 527-8.
|Grid reference||Centred NH 8000 9099 (300m by 300m) (Buffered by site type)|
- SPEARHEAD (Early Bronze Age to Late Iron Age - 2400 BC? to 560 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Investigations/Events (0)
External Links (1)
- https://canmore.org.uk/site/15375 (View RCAHMS Canmore entry for this site)
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.